This video post was contributed by
Caryn Isaacs, Get Health Help
A Patient Advocate’s Life
Are you prepared to help people regardless of your feelings towards them?
- Do you like to get involved in other people’s problems and to take control of the situation?
- Do you like to get involved in complex issues?
- Do you like to listen to what others are saying?
- Are you in good health and physically able to care for others?
- Are you able to distance yourself from situations?
- Are you able to evaluate and prioritize?
- Are you able to communicate effectively?
- Do you like to talk about yourself and patient advocacy?
- These are the things patient advocates do. They also:
- Research diagnoses and conditions.
- Liaison with families and other professionals.
- Monitor and improve lifestyles.
- A career in patient advocacy can be very rewarding.
A mentor will help you think through these issues.
Return to the Master List of Health & Patient Advocate Educational Programs.