Mentor Application Form
If you are available to mentor patient advocates or navigators, and you meet our criteria (listed below), then we invite you to apply. There is no cost to being an APHA-sanctioned mentor.
While we used to offer a list of possible mentors, we changed our approach in 2019 so that potential mentees go through (what amounts to) a tutorial before they make application to work with a mentor. During that time, they learn about possibilities and the cost of working with a mentor. In general their expectations are managed. Should they decide to apply for a mentor, an email is delivered to you with the answers to their questions so you can decide if you would like to work with them. All mentors receive copies of all applications, so you may actually “compete” with other mentors for that particular students.
Your responsibilities as a mentor are as follows:
- Guide your mentees to your best ability to help them build successful advocacy practices. Do not do the work for them. Teach them how to do it themselves.
- Encourage your mentees to join APHA if they are not already members. If they are not yet members, use our referral benefit to add time to your APHA membership. (But be sure to follow the rules on both your submission and your mentee’s submission.)
- Participate in our 2-x a year Mentor Phone Call when we bring all our mentors together to support each other’s work, to talk about best practices, and to look at ways to market mentoring to budding advocates.
Criteria: To participate as an APHA sanctioned mentor:
- You must have been in private business as a health or patient advocate or navigator for at least three years.
- You must be listed in the AdvoConnection Directory.